Are you passionate about independent journalism? Do you know all about Kosovo and the Balkan region? Do you have a background in editing?
We’re seeking an English-language editor to join our editorial team as we look to build on our bold and captivating award-winning journalism.
The person we hire will be dedicated to deepening the understanding of current affairs and political, social and cultural issues in Kosovo and the Western Balkans. They will be able to work constructively with our journalists and contributors on developing engaging ideas for journalistic coverage on a wide variety of issues from story conception, editing, and finalizing every detail for publication. The editor will also play an important role in developing our editorial policies.
As a K2.0 editor, you must not only grasp and convey the wider story, but you must also be detail-oriented and have an excellent grasp of the written English language.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to be at the cutting-edge of progressive quality journalism in the region.
Hours: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: September 17, 2023
Start date: October 2023 (negotiable)
Responsibilities will include:
– Oversee overall quality assurance of editorial content produced in the English language, in line with K2.0 editorial vision and internal style guidelines, under supervision of Managing Editor;
– Follow ongoing developments in Kosovo and the region, identify and develop topics for coverage, pitch story ideas in capacity as editor, and work with authors/contributors on assigned content;
– Edit content to final stage with a particular focus on features, narrative story-telling, and in-depth articles, including rigorous fact-checking, structure and language copy-editing;
– Contribute as writer and content producer;
– Oversee the quality and performance of English-language copy-editor;
– Contribute with English-language texts and edits for social media posts across platforms;
– Assist with English-language oversight across the organization’s needs;
– Help to develop and actively participate in K2.0 public events.
The ideal candidate for this role will be:
-Well informed on current affairs and issues in Kosovo (and the wider region);
-Able to work to deadline and to manage others to help meet their deadlines;
-Self-motivated and passionate about high quality, independent journalism;
-A dynamic, well-organized character with an ability to effectively prioritize busy workload;
-A stickler for detail and accuracy;
-Able to demonstrate excellent judgment and decision making skills;
-An excellent communicator;
-Able to be flexible and adaptable, tolerate stress, and work efficiently;
-Highly professional at all times when representing K2.0.
-At least three years experience editing journalistic texts in English; experience working with multimedia journalism (video, audio, podcasts, etc.) would be an advantage;
-Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Journalism, Humanities, Social Sciences, English language and Literature (or similar, relevant field);
-Languages: Native level fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of Albanian and/or other regional languages would be an advantage;
To apply please click here by September 17, 2023, including the following:
- Letter of motivation;
- Two samples of own journalistic work;
- Name and contact information of two professional references K2.0 can contact.
All applicants will be notified regarding the selection process.