Are you passionate about independent journalism? Do you know all about Kosovo and the Balkan region? Do you have a background in editing?
We’re seeking a senior editor (working in the English language) to join our editorial team as we look to build on our bold and captivating award-winning content.
The person we hire will be dedicated to deepening the understanding of current affairs and political, social and cultural issues in Kosovo and the Western Balkans. They will be able to work constructively with our journalists and contributors on developing engaging content ideas on a wide variety of issues right through to final, publishable articles, and will also play an important role in developing our editorial policies and staff.
As a K2.0 senior editor, you must not only grasp and convey the wider story, but you must also be detail-oriented and have an excellent grasp of the written English language.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to be at the cutting-edge of progressive quality journalism in the region.
Position: Senior Editor
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Prishtina (remote work possible initially due to pandemic restrictions)
Application deadline: April 25, 2021
Start date: June, 2021
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee overall quality assurance of editorial content produced in the English language, in line with K2.0 editorial vision and internal style guidelines, in liaison with Chief Editor and Managing Editor;
- Assist with the developing and monitoring of editorial policies, in liaison with Chief Editor;
- Follow ongoing developments in Kosovo and the region, identify and develop topics for coverage, and pitch story ideas in capacity as editor;
- Contribute as writer and content producer, particularly with regard to significant developments in current affairs, editorials and multimedia production;
- Edit content to final product with a particular focus on features, narrative story-telling, and in-depth articles, including rigorous fact-checking, structure and language copy-editing;
- Support junior editors, journalists and multimedia production in terms of day-to-day work and longer term professional development;
- Help to develop and actively participate in K2.0 public events.
The ideal candidate for this role will be:
- Well informed on current affairs and issues in Kosovo (and the wider region);
- Able to work to deadlines and to manage others to help meet their deadlines;
- Self-motivated and passionate about high quality, independent journalism;
- A dynamic, well-organized character with an ability to effectively prioritize busy workload;
- A stickler for detail and accuracy;
- Able to demonstrate excellent judgment and decision making skills;
- An excellent communicator;
- Able to be flexible and adaptable, tolerate stress, and work efficiently and accurately, even under pressure;
- Highly professional at all times when representing K2.0.
- At least four years of experience editing high quality written journalistic content in English language; experience of working with multimedia journalism, such as video, audio, podcasts, etc. would be an advantage;
- At least three years of experience managing people in previous work engagements and/or specific programs/projects;
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Journalism, Humanities, Social Sciences, English language and Literature (or similar, relevant field);
- Languages: Native level fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of Albanian and/or other regional languages would be a bonus.
Location: Prishtina (due to current pandemic restrictions, initial remote work can be negotiated)
- Cover letter;
- Two samples of own journalistic work;
- Contact details of two previous employers for references — we will not contact referees until after the interview stage.